Exploring realistic facial shapes with Blender – WIP.
Checkout out the showcase !
Reduced render time by 50% and removed banding on background by using combination of Blender’s 2.79 new features:
– preview rather than final sampling
– limited rather than full global illumination
– shadow catcher plate with composited background rather than usual studio floor setup, effectively not generating banding.
The purpose of this project is to explore the giclée printed medium.
View full showcase.
Blenderella, Advanced Character Modeling, originally released in 2011 as a training DVD for Blender Institute.
Check out the showcase!
We finally moved our rendering pipeline over to cloud providers.
Here was the render setup:
- 240 frames at 1920×1080 with cycles, split into 20 regions per frame.
- Total machines: 49
- Rendered files stored using Google Cloud Storage.
Render result summary:
- Total time: 5h 45m
- Average per frame: 1m 26s
- Average time per frame would be better if “aws” machines performed normally while using free tier instance. More details below.
VM instance provider summary:
bx – IBM Bluemix – 1 month trial ?!
- Only provided a Kubernetes cluster with 1 worker node in their free trial.
- Since we required access to many VM instances, integration to render pipeline was postponed for now.
aws – Amazon Web Services – free tier – EC2 instance 750 hours
- 15x t2.micro
- 1 core w/ 1Gb ram
- Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2676 v3
- Average time per pixel = 12.46 ms
- @ 0:15 seconds, we can see the CPU taking 9-10 more time than all other providers.
az – Azure – 1 month trial – $250 CAD credit
- 16x Standard_F1s
- 1 core w/ 2Gb ram
- Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2673 v3
- Average time per pixel = 1.76 ms
gcp – Google Cloud Platform – 1 year trial – $410.24 CAD credit ($300 USD)
- 16x Custom preemptive instance
- 1 core w/ 2Gb ram
- Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU @ 2.30GHz
- Average time per pixel = 1.38 ms
vgt – Vagrant (free) / Virtualbox (free) running on Windows 10 (not free) – internal cluster
- 2x Virtualbox VM
- 4 HT cores w/ 3Gb ram
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
- Average time per pixel = 0.86 ms
Dragon Baby Scales, blanketed by his wings.
Sad Sintel model created with Blender.
Model created with ZBrush and Blender
Model created with Blender